Sunday, February 17, 2013

Quick Cauliflower and Potato Curry





This is another one from Get Vegucated, who got it from Laurie Endicott, Where Do Gorillas Get Their Protein.
It turned out really good, though it needs more spices! I'm going to triple the curry powder and turmeric for next time, and maybe add some sriracha as well. Pro-tip from my friend R: Kale is good just sauteed in olive oil.

Dietary restrictions: Vegan, and to my knowledge gluten free

Ingredients
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • About 3 medium potatoes, diced
  • Nearly half a head of cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 3 tsp curry powder
  • 1 3 tsp turmeric
  • A little bit of sriracha
  • Parsley or kale (saute in olive oil) 
  • Optional: Add hard-boiled eggs or tofu
Directions
Stir-fry the diced onions in a dry skillet (no oil) until they are very brown. You can add a little bit of water from time to time if they start to stick. Add the minced garlic and fry that for about 30 seconds. Then add about 3 cups of water and the potatoes, cauliflower, and diced tomatoes. Add the spices and sriracha. Cover and simmer until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley or kale.
A note from Laurie: It’s hard to give an exact quantity for the potatoes and cauliflower, because their sizes vary, and some skillets are bigger than others. If I fill my skillet with vegetables, it yields about 6 servings.

Pictured below: My 2nd time making this, I substituted garbanzo beans for the diced tomatoes and cabbage and carrots for the cauliflower. It was better with the added seasoning but I think I might use even more sriracha next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment