Sunday, February 17, 2013

Polenta with Mushrooms & Greens

From Get Vegucated, who got it from Kelsey Rowley, Vegan nursing student, Seattle, WA. I haven't tried this yet, but I'll update this with a review when I do. I haven't been able to try it yet because the 4 employees I asked at the grocery store did not know where I could find their polenta. (One asked me: Oh, for your coffee? Me: Uh...no. It's probably by the quinoa or something. Employee: What's that? Me: ...I'll just go check the produce section again.)

Update: Review! First and foremost, oyster mushrooms look freaky. In a cool science-y way. But unfortunately, I did not really like how this dish turned out. I think there were a few problems with my approach. First, I couldn't find a tube of pre-cooked polenta so I just used a whole box (found by the "Italian" foods), so the polenta dominated the other ingredients. Second, I used already-minced garlic instead of fresh garlic, which may have contributed to how 'blah' the overall flavor turned out. I also wasn't sure how to place the lemons on, and so put some directly on the polenta/onions/mushrooms and some on top of the vegetables. It turns out you should definitely put them directly on the polenta/onions/mushrooms to really get the flavor of the lemons into the dish. Even then, I wouldn't really recommend this dish without some major modifications (like adding that vegan sausage that was suggested). Edit: It turns out that smothering the leftovers in melty cheese and sriracha makes them much more tasty.

Dietary restrictions: Vegan.

Ingredients
  • one tube of pre-cooked polenta
  • one medium onion
  • oyster mushrooms
  • one handful spinach
  • one handful arugula
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic
  • olive oil
  • fresh lemon
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350. Cut polenta into 1/4 inch slices to make circles. Coat casserole dish with light olive oil, place polenta on dish. chop onion, sauté onions in olive oil. Add a little brown sugar to caramelize, if desired. Chop oyster mushrooms and garlic, add to onions, cook for 1 minute with onions. Add to polenta dish. Bake for ten minutes. Add spinach, arugula, and lemon on top. Continue to bake for 2 minutes. Ready!
A note from Kelsey: Feel free to add any ingredients. I added vegan sausages, rosemary, pepper. I’ve made it a bunch of times in various ways. Always tastes good, but the lemon is key.


No comments:

Post a Comment